- Emotional stress
Signs & Symptoms of Acne
Symptoms can vary from blackheads, pimples, or bumps of different sizes which could be tender, and red.
Treatments for Acne
Acne treatment needs to be individualized to the patient for a successful outcome. There are many forms of acne and many patients with different needs and lifestyles. Our physicians will customize a plan that works best for your skin type and lifestyle.
These are some helpful tips on how to care for acne:
- Gently wash affected areas twice a day and after sweating with mild, nondrying cleanser. Vigorous washing and scrubbing can irritate your skin and make acne worse.
- Shampoo hair often — daily if it is oily.
- Use noncomedogenic, nonacnegenic, and oil-free cosmetics, toiletries, and sunscreens.
- Avoid astringents, toners, and exfoliants, which may unnecessarily dry the skin.
- To prevent scars, do not pop, squeeze, or pick at acne.
- To reduce the risk of scarring, seek treatment early for severe acne that does not respond to over-the-counter medications.